Basic Yoga Teacher Training: RYT 200
ॐ indy, colorado, mexico, washington, online
Are you a serious student looking for a program with depth? Want on the job training? Great! Our unique, thorough training is based on repetitive learning over a long time span. Worldwide, most RYT 200 yoga teacher training programs are intensives of literally 200 hours, with 0-1 actual classes taught. Our training is over 650 hours with at least 40 classes taught, with supervision.
2 PATHS: RYT200 (basic) : ours is 668 hours ॐ RYT500 (basic + advanced) : ours is 1200 hours
If you are new to teaching yoga, you will begin with what is called the RYT 200 program. Ours usually takes about a year for an adult with another job. If you know you are interested in a more thorough training, you can sign up for the RYT 500 hour program at the onset and receive a price discount on our basic (RYT 200) + advanced (RYT 300) trainings. Our RYT 500 program usually takes 2-3 years for adults with other jobs.
If you have previously completed another RYT 200 teacher training and wish to transfer into our RYT 300 / 500 program, please see the transfer student page
Our teacher training programs are thorough. You will graduate with confidence, and along the journey you will discover great personal healing and growth. Yoga education is still in an early developmental stage in the USA. Historically, yoga teachers trained for 7-10 years - not 7-10 weekends. The current yoga industry standard of 200 hours is insufficient for effectively learning how to teach, and in time the standards will change. Here at Santosha, you will receive double the hours required by our industry, apprentice teach at least 40 classes with feedback, and do so for the same price as other training programs. We are committed to the beautiful growth of Yoga, we salute your sincere efforts, and we will do our very best to support your journey.
- lead trainers Pierre Couvillion E-RYT500, Yoga Alliance #34289; and Shiela Dimof E-RYT200, YA #149775
3 MAIN CATEGORIES comprise our programs (1) Practice; (2) Tools Development; (3) Teaching Practicum:
(1) PRACTICE - learn to love Yoga by doing Yoga
Yoga is experiential learning. Having developed a personal practice is essential prior to teaching one. You will practice at least 125 hours at Santosha. These hours are self-paced and separate from your tuition. Those with many years of experience will be given special consideration to test out of this requirement. Distance learners will have the option to use our videos for home practice.
(2) TOOLS DEVELOPMENT - learn skills to share your love of Yoga
Teaching requires sharing information with others. Reaching students of different backgrounds requires different toolsets. These courses include:
- bodywork, to work physically with others;
- ayurveda (gardening health care), to learn "for whom and when" a practice of yoga is beneficial, and to learn how to adapt practices to different ages, body types, seasons, climates, and conditions
- communication and conduct, to navigate teacher-student relationships;
- anatomy, to understand body systems;
- music, to lead meaningful group rituals;
- yoga lab, to understand modifications, alignment principlies, and how to assist/adjust yoga postures;
- sanskrit and philosophy, to establish the intellectual framework from which the teachings of yoga have grown and been preserved.
- individual 1-on-1 assessment skills, to adapt the tools of yoga to individuals' needs
- teaching lab, to practice teaching in small increments in a group format, to have weekly community with other trainees
(3) TEACHING PRACTICUM - practice sharing your love of Yoga with on-the-job training
Having a personal yoga practice, and having developed some tools for teaching, you will then progress through several stages of teaching, and need to pass each stage. In all you will teach at minimum 40 classes and receive a lot of constructive feedback on your unique gifts and on how to improve. For the 500 hour teaching practicum, you will have the option to develop your own style with input from the trainers, or choose from 8 majors.
- on-site mentorship at 4 stages of teaching:
- SILENT CLASS: learn to share your love of the practice with even timing + pacing, while holding space for others to practice
- TALK TEACH: without demonstrating
- SEE THE ROOM: learn to work with individuals in a group setting while keeping the above stages intact
- PHYSICAL ADJUSTMENTS: learn safe, effective hands-on skills to align, modify, assist and enhance the practice while maintaining the above
In our teacher training, you receive the rare opportunity to actually practice these 4 stages, with mentorship, onsite at our studio in live classes. You will graduate with confidence, and after graduation be able to teach an incredible, foundation, all-levels yoga class to students anywhere in the world - even if the students don't speak your language.
RYT 200 (basic) a great value at $3195
RYT 300 (advanced) depth, specialization, thorough, a great value at $4495
RYT 500 (basic and advanced together) - save $500 by doing both - $7190
What kind of payment options exist? You can pay in full using a credit card or check. Or, you can pay in installments with a minimum 10% non-refundable deposit paid upfront. For installment pay, we additionally charge on any balance remaining after your deposit: 5% if using pre-dated checks, 10% if using autopay by credit card. For example, on a $2000 balance owed for an RYT 200 ($1195 deposit paid), $100 is added for checks (total paid $3295 rather than $3195), or $200 is added for scheduled credit card payments (total paid $3395).
Refunds: deposits and installment payments are non-refundable. See our refund policy for tuition paid upfront here.
5 LOCATIONS = SAME TRAINING: (1) Indianapolis; (2) Littleton, CO; (3) San Miguel de Allende, MX; (4) Richland, WA; (5) Online
- All students have access to training at all locations
- Alternate location weekly classes are free
- Alternate location intensives have limited spots available; they are an additional cost - but only 10% of the listed price for the intensive
- We do our best to host visiting students free of charge or at a low cost
- Online courses require in-person intensive study at some point, interactive video classes and testing
How do I start? We have open enrollment - you can start tomorrow! You can even come observe our training before you commit.
Orientation every Wednesday night at 6pm. Any sincere student curious about the teacher training can come any Wednesday night.
How long does it take? Most people finish within a year, though it could be finished in as little as 9 months, or take as long as 3 years if needed.
What are the dates? We have teacher training related coursework weekly, and in Indianapolis, daily. Our intensive dates are listed here. We believe in long term, repetitive, hands on study and learning. Your credit hours by subject are for you to do at your own pace. We are flexible with exact subject requirements while strict around total hours and Yoga Alliance standards.
Enrollment and questions: 317-405-8248, firstname.lastname@example.org, or use the form at the bottom of the page